Saturday, August 15, 2009

Engine-History

As stated in an earlier post, the car was dismantled to restore to concours level. The engine and transmission was completely dismantled.

4/15/03 I sent the parts I had, to Motor Meister to rebuild the engine and perform updates. MM does not have a good name on the 911 websites. I didn't do my research before I sent the engine and transmission to them. The MFI pump had water in it and needed rebuilt. I decided to go ahead and convert to carbs. In hindsite, I should have paid for the rebuild and keep it MFI. Bad decision, but I have to live with it now.

Here are some updates that were made:

Stainless steel heat exchangers

Rebuilt Alternator

Chain tensioners

Transmission full rebuild

New clutch kit and clutch arm.

Stainless steel valves

Other items...I have the full receipts to scan in if needed.

Received the motor/transmission back 12/03

Installed motor 10/2005.

The fuel lines were cleaned, the MFI fuel filter housing was removed. A new low pressure fuel pump was mounted in the location of the original pump. A fuel pressure regulator was installed near the carbs. Here is a picture before it was installed.




Ignition:

A MSD system with new coil was installed. The original CDI box and coil were still operational when removed. New MSD spark plug wires were installed. A pertronix point system was also installed. Once these items were installed, no issues with ignigion. I went thru a few sets of points before the pertronix was installed.


Once all the bugs had worked out, the engine runs great. No leaks. I typically tune the carbs in the fall and then in the spring.
Some characteristics of the engine.
If left setting for a few month, the engine is a little cranky getting started. Once warm starts on the first crank.
Below 3000 rpm, your waisting your time if you need any power.
3000-5000. At 3000 the power kickes in nicely, at 5000 another boost of power. Pulls very nicely to redline. 7250.
I am planning on getting a PPI performed by a local guy to confirm engine updates(as much as possible without dismantling engine) and leakdown testing. I will post the results when complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment